Cooking fire destroys home|
Unattended grease cooking on the stove started a mobile home fire that has left a family homeless. The fire at 820 S. Pine #137 was discovered just before 4:30 yesterday afternoon when a Hastings Public Schools bus was bringing home a child who lived in the home. The school bus monitor, Steve Kathman, was the first to notice the smoke and called 911. The Hastings Fire Department was able to put out the fire in just a matter of minutes but, due to the fast moving flames, the home is thought to be a total loss. The Hastings Fire Department says the resident, Theresa Aguilar, left the stove on while going to the store. She arrived back home just after the fire trucks arrived. No one was home at the time and no one was injured. Aguilar and her 2 children will now be staying with a relative.